Coach Mekel has represented Jamaica internationally as a sprinter since the age of 15.
- 2 time 200m champion (Jamaica)
- 2003 Carifta games champion
- 2003 4x400m Gold medalist
- 2005 Carfita game silver medalist
- 2005 Panam games finalist
- 2005 All american 4x100m champion (Philadelphia)
- 2005 All american finalist with fastes time going into the finals (pulled out due to injury)
His passion for Track and Field has continued today as an official USA Track and Field Association Coach (USATF) and has passed the USATF Coach Training Courses and Certification.
Coach Mekel did not allow his injuries to stop him. He has translated his skill to the success of other athletes! Most athletes training under him have qualified for Junior Olympics and he is highly regarded for excellent results in the community.